Thinking of Hiring a Digital Marketing Agency? Here is a List of Questions to Ask and Factors to Consider
There are several reasons that motivate companies to locate and hire a digital marketing agency, including the following:
- Are you ready to have a professional agency help your company advance its online presence?
- Are you unhappy with your current digital marketing agency and are looking for a new one?
- Have you been trying to manage your company’s website, social media campaigns, and blog – and you’re overwhelmed with the amount of time it requires?
- Do you have a rudimentary website but you’ve realized it’s finally time to make updates and employ additional digital marketing tactics?
No matter your specific reason for wanting to hire an outside firm, you want to make sure that you hire the best possible digital marketing agency – and one that is experienced but also a good fit for your company. Digital marketing agencies offer various packages, and their tactics may also vary. Because there are so many agencies that claim to specialize in search engine optimization (SEO), website design and development, custom coding, content writing, and brand strategy and positioning, it can be difficult to decide which agency to hire.
Unfortunately, many digital marketing agencies can sense that their potential clients may not completely understand the world of SEO or website design and development. Therefore, they may be able to take advantage of clients by charging exorbitant fees and providing a shoddy service – believing their clients will never know the difference. It’s important that you NOT get caught in this trap. Just because a company labels itself as a “digital marketing agency” does not necessarily mean it’s a good one.
Before hiring a digital marketing agency to develop your website, help you with SEO, develop content for your website, and more – make sure to ask the following questions and keep your eye out for the these important factors:
- Ask the digital marketing agency to provide you with examples of their past work. If they can’t provide you with examples, you know the company is inexperienced. If they do provide examples, how do these look?
- Does the agency have any client testimonials or references they can share with you? Testimonials and references from happy customers are an excellent source of information about the agency’s work ethic and ability to be successful.
- If the agency requires you to sign a contract, what does that contract encompass? Make sure the contract is specific and that you understand what you are signing. Signing a multi-year contract from the get-go is not always advisable.
- With so many digital marketing agencies currently in business, how can you be sure you’re choosing the right one? When you’ve narrowed down your choices to one or two, evaluate exactly how these potential agencies are different or better than the ones you scratched off your list. Differentiation is the key. What unique benefits and services will your top choice provide you that all other agencies won’t?